Pony Express 5k

Pony Express 5k
My first race ever!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Run and a Winner!

So yesterday my friend Kim ran the Top of Utah Marathon, and as I am not ready for one yet.... I ran a 1/2 in her honor!  I'm working on building distance and not stressing about time, but I have to check my time anyway.
But before I could do that, I had other responsibilities.  Yesterday I had the honor of MC'ing a local 5k.  I was invited to do so specifically "because you have a loud voice that anyone can hear a mile away"  I'll take that as a compliment.

It was a super fun 5k organized by a 14 year old young man as a part of his Eagle Scout project.  Wow, he did a great job!  There were 180 runners between the 5k and the kids run and so far (donations are still pouring in) he has garnered about $1500 for the new Mountain Trails Elementary schools library!  If you would like to donate for Austin's project click here.  I think the donate link will be live for a week or two.

So after the race, when it was nice and HOT, I geared up for my run.  About a mile into it, I realized I was going to go much slower than I'd hoped and would run out of time to finish.  I also had forgot to drink even 8 oz of water that morning.  I had two mostly frozen water bottles in my hands and gu in the pocket.  Not good.  Decided based on the first couple miles to turn around early and finish the run in the evening.  We were headed out to the lake for the last good day of the season anyway.  So did 8.9 in 1:32:55, for a 10:23 pace in the morning.

When dusk hit, I took off again for 4.2 to finish it off.  Was well hydrated and felt good.  Finished that in 37:05 for  a 8:50 pace.  BIG difference.  Finished strong and felt so much better than the morning.  

I told Mark this morning I felt like I had a hangover.  (For those who don't know me in person, I am only imagining.  I have never had a hangover and in fact have never tasted alcohol, so this would rank among my worst headaches of all time).  He informed me a hangover was partly due to dehydration, so I probably did have one.  Hmmm.  

Anywho, I was very proud to run another 1/2 distance, even broken up, just 3 weeks after my race bomb.  Decided to do another half in 6 weeks so I don't end my season on a sour note.

So without further ado or blah blah blahing about myself:

We have a winner for the Road ID giveaway!  

Courtesy of,

Elizabeth wins a $15 gift certificate to Road ID! Elizabeth, please email me your address and I'll get it off to you.

If any of you are interested in a Road ID, please use the link on my blog and 10% will be donated to my friend Jim Hughes' medical trust.  

Thanks for all your entries.  I love doing the giveaways!


  1. Great job in getting the full distance done. Sometimes it's just easier to break it up! :)

    And congrats to the orgnazier of the 5k! That's a lot of work! :)

  2. I never realized that dehydration headache feels like hangover or that you get headache from dehydration. Woke up Friday after my 12 miler on Thursday with a hangover like headache but I thought nothing about it, and I felt miserable Saturday and Sunday just put it down as fatigue and stress. But with the info provided I have been drinking lots of fluid.

    Congrats to the Eagle Scout, that's a lot of work.

    Sending you an email, thanks.

  3. I'm so glad to hear that the 5K went well. I was thinking that it sounded like a great distance...about the time I still had the worst 10K marathon leg still to go. But I really shouldn't complain, this time around it was only the VERY last super slow mile that is keeping me from complete marathon retirement ;) I've still got to show that mile who's the boss!

    And that's fun that you were going long in my honor! Next time let's do it together-- so much more fun.