Pages

Pony Express 5k

Pony Express 5k
My first race ever!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Food. Reward or Punishment?

So I was reading this story in the paper this morning about Drew Carey's incredible weight loss.  He's lost 77 lbs and looks fabulous!  Well, like most weight journeys, he had some bumps in the road.  After he finished a 10k, he ate an ice cream cone, then a whole pepperoni pizza, then a cupcake.  The next day another pizza.  After a few days, gaining a few pounds and feeling sick, he posted this valuable lesson on his mirror:  "Eating crappy food is not a reward--it's a punishment."

This lesson came right on the heels of  "The Dirty Dash", a 10k mud run I did with my friends yesterday. (Race Report and pics this afternoon)  When we got done, I was starving!  There weren't enough water stops and the fruit at the end was delicious, but not enough for me.  

Well I just did a 10k, so off to eat we go.  Decided on Taco Bell, ordered a couple tacos and a gordita cruch (I think), but then, since we are in Heber, I HAVE to go to Granny's and get a carmel-cashew-brownie shake and onion rings.  They are to die for!  I love Granny's shakes and onion rings.  Been eating them for almost 30 years and will continue till I die.  Good thing I only get up there a few times a year.

Well either one of them would have been fine on their own, but both restaurants were not necessary. It's not like I got any nutrition from either one.  So my stomach was in pain all night long, I never felt like making or eating a healthy dinner.  Good thing only 2 kids were home and there were leftovers and fresh fruit for them.  For the record, I didn't eat the second taco.  It doesn't make me feel any better, but I didn't.  

I had bought cinnamon swirl bread to make french toast with for Sunday breakfast.  I really didn't even feel like eating, but the kids did and it tasted good.  But the tummy still hurts.

Like Drew, there are battles I will continue to fight.  A little is ok, it tastes good.  A lot hurts and brings back all kinds of feelings of self loathing and anger.  

So I will amend Drew's quote, "Eating a lot of crappy food is not a reward, it's a punishment."

Don't forget, the September Challenge is still open for your goals and stories, win a great prize pack!

1 comment:

  1. It's so hard to not eat crappy food after a hard workout, but it totally negates the hard work. You are so right... a little goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete