Pages

Pony Express 5k

Pony Express 5k
My first race ever!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Three Day Recap

The training plan has me resting on Monday and Friday, running Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with longs on Saturday and cross training on Sunday.....


So some revamping was necessary.  
I've decided to run Monday, cross train on Tuesday (Biggest Loser 2 hour Spin class fits the bill), strength on Monday and Wednesday, run Thursday, Friday and long runs on Saturday.  Hopefully that way I don't get too trashed and do the crash and burn.


So far it seems to be working out.  The only bump this week was covering for my friends Spin class on Wednesday, at 5:30 am.  (Which meant I had to get up at 4:30 after going to bed at 11pm.)  That is a mere 8 hours after my last class ended.  Not a great plan.  I was a wussy teacher and had my class do as I say, not as I do....  I was just beat and didn't have it in me. 


After a nap I was able to do my strength training and it felt great!


Today I did a 5 mile pace run.  Meaning I ran at my goal pace for 5 miles after a 5 minute walk/jog warmup.  It felt great, and I didn't end exhausted, so this gives me a lot of hope that I can learn to sustain that pace for the 26.2.  


At our race committee meeting today, we discussed the "dreadmill" vs outside and the overall consensus was that I am crazy and how can I stand to be on a tread for 5-10 miles?  


Well, I don't love it.  It's certainly more boring, but I do get to watch a good movie, today was Mama Mia!   I love Abba music!  But I can't stand to run outside when it is so bitter cold.  I have to do my runs in the am, usually before 10 and it's still 8-10 degrees.  The afternoons are getting nice, but no bueno for the time.  My lungs get so cold and I cough for hours, sometime days.  But when it's a little warmer, nothing at all.  


The first 2 miles are the worst.  After I take the obligatory bathroom break around mile one, grab the phone and water bottle I forgot, and relax a little, I can settle in and let my mind start to wander away from the display.  


What about all of you?  What is too cold? or is there a too cold?  How do you get through the cold winters, slick roads and unshoveled sidewalks?  Do you hate the tread too?  Is it a necessary evil?  


All I know is I'm ready for some 50 deg days!  Bring on the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment