Pages

Pony Express 5k

Pony Express 5k
My first race ever!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Run a little Talk a little, Cheat Cheat Cheat!

ok, now it's a 12 day recap....  I have felt so busy for the last week, but not sure what I've gotten done.  

Before we left, Thursday I did 5, and then Friday an easy 3.

Last weekend we went to Midway for the holiday weekend and had a BLAST!!  We go every year (usually on MLK weekend, but this year it's Presidents day)  The whole fam goes.  Both of my brothers, as many of their kids as can and sometimes we get lucky and some of my sister's kids can come.  

This year was kind of special to me.  My nephew just got home from his mission in Ireland and Scotland, and this summer, my son will leave for two years for his.  And no, we don't know where yet....  Papers should be submitted soon.  So, this is the last year all my kids will be there for a while.  

It's very sobering to face the reality that your babies won't be babies forever and they do move on.  We've had a taste of that with college and him moving out for the school year.  But this feels different.  When he comes home, he won't ever really live at home again.  He'll just visit.  It makes me sad, glad, and a little resentful all at the same time.  


We go up on Friday afternoon and stay through Monday.  Lots of games, tv, talking, tubing, horse drawn sleigh ride, swimming and relaxing....  Which also means, despite good intentions, I ate more than I should.  My oldest bro is an amazing and creative chef... he always makes a fantastic dinner and follows it up by incredible desserts..... Friday was his version of bananas foster.  Oh YUMMMM!  


Then there was the general snacking waaaayyy to much, followed by chocolate dipped strawberries and caramel corn on Sunday.  Meals weren't bad, just all the extra goodies.

So....Saturday had 9 on the plan, but since I missed last weeks long run, I wanted to do 10, and make up a little of the mileage.  Didn't think it would be a problem, there's a treadmill at the clubhouse and I can get it in before everyone comes for breakfast.  But all the sugar the day before plus staying up late left me feeling sluggish and I slept in a little and didn't have the energy to run.  So I did 6 and then went back to make breakfast for everyone and after it was all done and cleaned up, I went back for another slow 4.  I felt like crap!

Monday is normally a weight training day, but since the little gym at the clubhouse is junk, literally, I did all body weight stuff and ran my 3 miles.  Didn't feel much better than Saturday, but I got it done.

I have to say though, Midway was more beautiful this time than any other.  It snowed constantly while we were there.  Sometimes huge, thick, wet flakes and you could barely see the road.  Others, just tiny little wispy flakes.  But it was constant till we were on the road home.  Everything was pristine and white.  We had fresh snow for our horse drawn sleigh ride and the valley was a shimmering wonderland!

When we got home, we ate pizza for dinner.  I did get veggie delite, so it was a little better.  

Tuesday, I decided to start fresh.  I want to get serious about my eating.  I picked up Tosca Reno's book, Eat Clean Diet Recharged.  I'm really liking it.  I'll tell you more about it in a future post.

Spin class was awesome of course!  I left completely spent, seriously, if you have any energy left after a spin class, you don't have your resistance up high enough!

After that.... off for my weekly massage!  It's a new thing and I love it.  My muscles are recovering fast and getting stronger.  Tily works out all my kinks and pays special attention to my hot spots, I don't know how I lived without this before!  Thank you Tily!!!

Wed, strength again.  Killer Workout!!!!  Started off with a timed circuit.  After a 1/4 mile sprint, I had drop sets of thrusters (squat-had to have my butt touch down on a 12" step--followed by a shoulder press with a 40 lb bar)  and pull ups.  21 of each, then 15 of each and last 9 of each.  All three sets under 4 min total or I had to do it again.  Let me tell you!  I'm glad I made it, cause I could barely move after that!  Then I did the rest of the workout, which seemed super easy after that circuit.

Today, 5 mile pace run, ave pace 8:58.  My goal pace for the marathon is 9:09, which is a 4 hr marathon.  So I feel like my actual pace has to be a little faster to account for potty breaks and aid stations.  I'd like to get my actual down to 8:45.  So, it's coming. 

The best surprise of all is that my weight didn't go all psycho on my because of the weekend.  Today I weighed in .5 lb less than last week!  YAY!!  

I promise to talk more about Tosca and her book next time!  See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment