Pages

Pony Express 5k

Pony Express 5k
My first race ever!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Ranting and a CHALLENGE!

RANT TIME!!!!!!!!

Go read this article and get ready to scream!
High fructose levels make fat cells fatter. (Thanks Anjanette for the links!) Kids are bombarded from every side with things that are bad for them and make them fat. Too much TV, video games, computer time, cutting back PE and recess, everything is "unsafe". Good grief, all the things I did as a kid would now get DCFS called on my parents. I rode my bike down Highland Drive in SLC to the 7-Eleven to get slurpees with my friends at 6 yrs old. Swung on a rope over the canal. Went to Wines Park in Lehi with no adults at 7, down to the Broadcaster on main streeet for an ice cream again with no parents.

Now I realize that safety today requires more supervision--too many creepies. But instead of doing these things with their kids, too many parents buy them electronics to keep them occupied. Resulting in fat kids and adults. Don't jump on me too fast....I'm not talking about a kid who's a little bigger, I'm talking about kids who are obese and pre-diabetic. I see them everywhere I go.

Ok, back to the relevance of the article:

It makes me so sad and angry at the same time. We have become a nation who eats like garbage. Who do you blame? Manufacturers? They make what we buy. Government? I'm rarely for more govt regulation. Parents? Junk is cheaper than fruits and veggies. And it really is hard to shop for a family on a budget. But the truth is, it comes down to personal responsibility. I grew up without fruit snacks, why buy them for my kids. They and similar snack foods provide no nutrition.

Second rant: British study links food dyes with hyperactivity in kids.

I've heard this before, but it hit hard this time. Why do kids foods need to be neon colored for them to eat them? If my dad had seen that as a kid, he'd have thought the bomb had gone off and now all their food was radioactive! For all history food has been fairly basic, it's only in the "modern age" that we've decided to destroy our bodies on purpose.

Honestly, what happened to food being food? Not a bunch of chemicals, preservatives and additives. Then they "enrich" it to make it "healthy"

Why spend money for something that gives you nothing. I wouldn't put crap in my car and expect it to run well. I put the proper fuel in and don't overfill it. That way it runs the way I need it too. Why is it so hard to treat our bodies with the same respect?

So here is my first CHALLENGE for all of you. Read the articles, and then post what you are willing to do to take your healthy eating to the next level. What are you willing to cut out of regular life and make just a treat? (Yes I do eat junk, but it's a treat, not regular food) I've cut soda, chips and chocolate candy out for the most part. Switched to fresh ground peanut butter, mostly only whole grain bread. So time for something new.

Here's my commitment: I'm going to buy only healthy (even over crying and whining) snacks for the next shopping trip. (trying a co-op this week to save $ on the produce, I'll let you know how it goes) Yes, there are some popsicles left in the freezer, but not next time. More fruit and veggies to snack on. String cheese, whole grain crackers, yogurt. It's time to take control of our fridges and stomachs!

We really do need a food revolution. Bring back Jamie Oliver!

3 comments:

  1. You doing Bountiful Baskets? It's awesome! It's totally been worth it for us. (and I am so excited that they had cases of peaches this time! The cases are killer deals!) One of my favorite things about summer is that the eating seems to be lighter-more veggies thanks to the garden and better prices on produce, and with the hot weather it makes "heavier" foods less appealing to me. So thankfully things are a little more healthy just kind of by default around here right now....
    S
    o, what will I cut? I've been working on cutting out pop (soda, whatever) and doing pretty good at it, but this will be my official vow to stop the sweet drinks. It's too easy to gulp down all the sugary drinks that are at all the summer gatherings. Water it is! It's been easier to indulge in this department this year since I'm not training for anything, so this will be good motivation for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup I'm trying Bountiful Baskets! MaryAnne was telling me about it, so this Saturday will by my first time.

    Way to go giving up the soda! It was hard at first for me, but now I'm rarely tempted.

    Maybe I'll see you at pick up on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom just told me about bountiful baskets last night. We go through a bag of spinach and kale every other day around here, so my Mom said I need to hop on board with the co-op thing, since we eat a lot of veggies.....tell me how you like it. :) What I get tired of is the sugary food reward at school for everything...makes me crazy!

    ReplyDelete